The most popular and comprehensive Open Source ECM platform
The last few years have seen rapid adoption and progress in the field of Artificial Intelligence. What can we expect for 2019? Forrester recently gave their predictions for 2019. A primary development is a general realization of the current limits of AI. Forrester calls it “Pragmatic AI.” In 2018 businesses struggled with AI — the results couldn’t match expectations, resulting in disappointment and a slow down in adoption.
Forrester’s AI predictions for 2019 are as follows:
1. Data Quality will still be Challenging. Niel Nickolaisen, vice president and CTO at O.C. Tanner, told SearchCIO that “data doldrums are and will continue to be on the list for the foreseeable future. Data is messy and it takes times and effort to cleanse data. I expect data will always be messy.”
2. AI will Incorporate More Human Touch Points. Nickolaisen said that “I have always thought that the power of AI was to ability to quickly process the vast amounts of data and variables and deliver what an informed human could do but much, much faster. At times, there are data holes, so the AI might present its best decision and let the human ‘polish’ the decision by intuiting what the missing data might imply — but this creates its own risks.”
3. AI will be Used by Companies to Recruit their AI Staff. The lack of AI skills will cause businesses to apply AI to the task of finding and recruiting AI talent.
4. AI will increasingly be combined with RPA. Robotic Process Automation (RPA) will increasingly be integrated into AI business process automation.
5. Attempts will be Made to Make AI more explainable. AI has been criticized as based on results and decisions derived from black-box algorithms that can’t provide a traceable path to how the results were arrived.